But it’s really comfortable, well-made, and it was free. So after living with it for years, I decided to finally make a change (I’ve been wanting to get around to this for months!).
There are tons of DIY sites out there, with lots of instructions, so mine’s going to be mainly pictures. That’s the thing I missed as I was doing my “research”: there weren’t many step-by-step pictures. The directions I most closely followed came from this site. It really does come down to a lot of tucking and stapling and folding and pinning (lots of it however you think looks good!).
Then, armed with a staple gun borrowed from a friend, I secured the back and sides (you’ll need a few safety pins also). With this couch, there was a wood frame under the arm rests, so I stapled there, too. I ended up not using any upholstery pins on mine; I like the simple, plain look.
The pillows were covered following this tutorial. And voila! A pretty couch! 🙂